Create a cluster
As a fully managed YugabyteDB-as-a-service, Yugabyte Cloud makes it easy for you to create YugabyteDB clusters.
To create a cluster, on the Clusters page, click Add Cluster to start the Create Cluster wizard.
Before creating a paid cluster, create a billing profile and add a payment method. Refer to Manage your billing profile and payment method.
If you want to use dedicated VPCs for network isolation and security, contact Yugabyte Support to set up VPC Peering with your client VPC. This has to be done before you create your cluster.
Create Cluster Wizard
The Create Cluster wizard has the following three pages:
Select Cluster Type
Use the Free cluster to get started with YugabyteDB. Although it's not suitable for production workloads, the free cluster includes enough resources to start exploring the core features available for developing applications with YugabyteDB, including:
- Single node
- Up to 2 vCPUs and 10 GB of storage, depending on the cloud provider
- Limit of one free cluster per account
Paid clusters support multi-node and highly available deployments and include the following features:
- No limit on cluster size - choose any cluster size based on your use case
- Horizontal and vertical scaling - add or remove nodes and add storage to suit your production loads
- VPC peering support
- Automated and on-demand backups
- Create as many as you need
If you haven't already provided payment information, you'll need to add it before you can create a paid cluster.
Select Yugabyte Cloud Free or Yugabyte Cloud and click Next to display the Cluster Settings page.
Set the following options:
- Provider: Choose a cloud provider - AWS or GCP. (For Azure, contact Yugabyte Support.)
- Cluster Name: Enter a name for the cluster.
- Region: Choose the Region where the cluster will be located.
If you are creating a Paid cluster, set the following additional options:
Fault Tolerance determines how resilient the cluster is to node and cloud zone failues:
- None - single node, with no replication or resiliency. Recommended for development and testing only.
- Node Level - a minimum of 3 nodes deployed in a single availability zone with a replication factor (RF) of 3. YugabyteDB can continue to do reads and writes even in case of a node failure, but this configuration is not resilient to cloud availability zone outages. For horizontal scaling, you can scale nodes in increments of 1.
- Availability Zone Level - a minimum of 3 nodes spread across multiple availability zones with a RF of 3. YugabyteDB can continue to do reads and writes even in case of a cloud availability zone failure. This configuration provides the maximum protection for a data center failure. Recommended for production deployments. For horizontal scaling, nodes are scaled in increments of 3.
Network Access: If you want to use dedicated VPCs for network isolation and security, contact Yugabyte Support to set up VPC Peering with your client VPC. Note this has to be done before you create your cluster.
- Nodes - enter the number of nodes for the cluster. Node and Availability zone level clusters have a minimum of 3 nodes; Availability zone level clusters increment by 3.
- vCPU/Node - enter the number of virtual CPUs per node.
- Disk size/Node - enter the disk size per node in GB.
The cluster costs are estimated automatically under Cost. + Usage refers to any potential overages from exceeding the free allowances for disk storage, backup storage, and data transfer. For information on how clusters are costed, refer to Cluster costs.
Paid clusters support both horizontal and vertical scaling; you can change the cluster configuration after the cluster is created using the Edit Configuration settings. Refer to Configure clusters.
Database Admin Credentials
The admin credentials are required to connect to the YugabyteDB database that is installed on the cluster. (You can add additional users once the cluster is provisioned.)
You can use the default credentials generated by Yugabyte Cloud, or add your own.
Download the credentials, and click Create Cluster.
ImportantSave your credentials in a safe place. If you lose these credentials you will not be able to use the database.
Viewing the cluster
After you complete the wizard, the Clusters page appears with the provisioning of your new cluster in progress.
Once the cluster is ready, the cluster Overview is displayed.
You now have a fully configured YugabyteDB cluster provisioned in Yugabyte Cloud with the credentials you specified.