YugabyteDB is a high-performance distributed SQL database for powering global, internet-scale applications. Built using a combination of high-performance document store, per-shard distributed consensus replication, and multi-shard ACID transactions (inspired by Google Spanner), YugabyteDB serves both scale-out RDBMS and internet-scale OLTP workloads with low query latency, extreme resilience against failures, and global data distribution. As a cloud-native database, it can be deployed across public and private clouds as well as in Kubernetes environments.
YugabyteDB is a good fit for fast-growing, cloud native applications that need to serve business-critical data reliably, with zero data loss, high availability, and low latency. Common use cases include:
- Distributed Online Transaction Processing (OLTP) applications needing multi-region scalability without compromising strong consistency and low latency. For example, user identity, Retail product catalog, Financial data service.
- Hybrid Transactional/Analytical Processing (HTAP) (also known as Translytical) applications needing real-time analytics on transactional data. For example, user personalization, fraud detection, machine learning.
- Streaming applications needing to efficiently ingest, analyze, and store ever-growing data. For example, IoT sensor analytics, time series metrics, real-time monitoring.
YugabyteDB provides five key features for cloud-native applications:
- PostgreSQL compatibility
- Resilience and continuous availability
- Globally distributed
- Hybrid and multi-cloud
Get instantly productive - YugabyteDB reuses PostgreSQL's query layer and supports all advanced features.
- Support for triggers, stored procedures, partial indexes, security, and more
- Build and modernize applications with high agility
- Developers are instantly productive
- Migrate legacy databases to the cloud (Oracle / RAC, SQL Server, DB2)
Resilience and continuous availability
Continue without disruption during unplanned infrastructure failures and planned maintenance tasks such as software upgrades and distributed backups.
- Survives multiple failures (nodes, zones, regions, and data centers)
- Auto-heals with re-replication
- Zero-downtime upgrades and security patching
- Proven in real-world scenarios at scale
Scale out and in with zero impact.
- Billions of ops/day, hundreds of TB
- Scale queries, storage, and connections by adding nodes
- Reliably scale-out and scale-in on demand with large datasets without impacting running applications
Use replication and data geo-partitioning to achieve low latency, resilience, and compliance.
- Distribute data across zones and regions with ACID consistency
- Most complete global replication features of any database, including synchronous, asynchronous, geo-partitioning, and hybrid deployments
- Move data closer to customers and comply with regulations like GDPR
Hybrid and multi-cloud
Deploy YugabyteDB anywhere, in any combination - public, private, and hybrid cloud environments, on VMs, containers, or bare metal.
- Avoid vendor lock-in
- Migrate from on-premises data centers to the cloud gradually and with confidence
- Align the specific features and capabilities of different clouds with the requirements of your applications